Monday, October 28, 2013

Journal #4

Site Title: The Importance of Science

Developer: Rick Garcia

Focus: This website may serve as a site to link to from my class website so that students can explore the importance of learning science. I currently do not have any presentations on this, so it would be very helpful, especially at the beginning of the year.

Main Features: Explorations of the importance of science both globally, locally and personally. It will include external links to reputable sources for students to explore further.

Content: Students will find a website that focuses on the importance of science globally, locally and personally. I hope to be able to provide examples for each so that students can explore how science affects them. There will be at least two examples per category.

For global aspects I may include some examples of deforestation, ocean pollution, species extinction, important medical advancements, human rights, global warming, etc. I will choose examples that will best provide the students with a sense that scientific studies affect them on a larger scale (globally).

For local aspects I may include examples of technology, medicine, university, community projects, etc.

For personal aspects I may include examples of human behavior, medicine, career options, technology, personal hobbies, literacy and thinking skills, etc.

I am not 100% sure which topics I will cover in each category but the above are some topics I may include. As you can see the overall website will be showing students why we bother teaching them science in high school.

There will also be a contact information area.


Target Audience: Since i have to create website from scratch, I figure I might as well make one that I can actually use. With this in mind I decided to create this website to link from my main Weebly site. It would be a good activity for students next year, a webquest of some sort. That isn't to say the website would be only for students; people of all ages do not understand how science has an impact on their daily lives, so the audience could be much broader than high school students. So, my audience is any person who doesn't understand the importance of science, but my target audience is high school science students.

Design: I want the website to match that of my Weebly site; dark gray and black colors for background with teal and white colored text and images.  I want the website to be very easy to navigate to keep student confusion to a minimum. I would like each example to have an external link so students can find more information from a reputable source. I would like the examples to link from the main page and "flow" like a PowerPoint from one slide to the next (options to go back to the main page will still be available on every page); once all examples have been completed for each area, it will go to the next one. (Global Example 1 -? Global Example 2, Global Example 3 -> Local Example 1, etc)

Limitations: One of the major limitations is the age of my target audience. The website should be clear and concise without being too lengthy or wordy. The information needs to be easy to find and understand. The website also has to be very easy to navigate so they do not get frustrated and leave without exploring all of the content. Furthermore, it should be "nice"; either colorful or, in my opinion, black with colorful marking.
Site WireFrame
Site Map

No comments:

Post a Comment